Ingredients for making Ossetian cheese pies
For the test:
- Wheat flour 300 grams for dough and 50-70 grams for rolling
- Pasteurized whole milk 200 milliliters
- Vegetable oil 4 tablespoons per dough and 1 tablespoon for molds
- Granular dry yeast 1 teaspoon
- Sugar 1.5 teaspoon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Butter 30-40 grams or to taste (for lubrication)
- Mozzarella cheese 100 grams
- Brynza (salted) 100-150 grams
- Curd 100 grams
- Parsley 30 grams or to taste
- Dill 30 grams or to taste
- Green onion 30 grams or to taste
- Main ingredients: Milk, Cheese, Curd, Flour, Greens
- Serving 3 servings
- World cuisine Ossetian cuisine
Kitchen scales, measuring cup, paper kitchen towels, grater, cutting board - 2-3 pieces, kitchen knife - 2 pieces, kitchen towel, deep bowl, stove, stewpan, tablespoon, teaspoon, oven, rolling pin, fine mesh sieve , table fork, pizza baking dish, kitchen potholders, kitchen spatula, large flat dish, portioned plate.
Cooking Ossetian cheese pies:
Step 1: prepare the milk.
To begin with, we pour in pasteurized whole milk into a small stewpan. We put it on medium heat and slightly warm it up so that it is warm and you can calmly lower your fingers into it without fear of getting burned. As soon as this ingredient reaches the desired temperature, which is approximately 35-38 degrees Celsius, using a kitchen towel, remove it from the stove and pour it into a deep bowl.
Step 2: prepare the dough.
Next, pour some dry granular yeast, salt and granulated sugar into a bowl of warm milk. Mix them with a tablespoon until smooth and put in a warm place on 10 minutesso that the dough rose.
Step 3: prepare and infuse the dough.
After the required time has elapsed, we sift through the fine-mesh sieve the desired amount of wheat flour, preferably of the highest grade, through a fine mesh sieve. With clean hands, knead a soft, elastic, slightly sticky dough and pour it with vegetable oil. Knead the semi-finished product with liquid fat again to a homogeneous consistency, then roll it into a bowl, send it back to the bowl, cover with a kitchen towel and put it in a warm place on 30-40 minutescan be near the included stove.
Step 4: prepare the filling.
We don’t lose a minute, rinse dill, parsley, green onions under trickles of cold running water and shake them from excess liquid over the sink. After that, additionally dip it with paper kitchen towels, put it on a cutting board, chop finely and send it into a clean, deep bowl.
We rub the Mozzarella cheese, salted feta cheese on a coarse grater there, and put the cottage cheese, crushed by fingers, and mix these products to a homogeneous consistency. Then, as soon as the dough rises, turn on the oven to 200 degrees celsius, grease three flat pizza baking dishes with a thin layer of vegetable oil and proceed to the next step.
Step 5: form Ossetian cheese pies.
We roll the dough increased several times into a thick sausage and divide it with a metal kitchen spatula into three equal pieces.
We take one of them, send it to the countertop, crushed with flour, and stretch it with our palms, so that we get a round layer.
We spread 1/3 of the cheese filling in its center.
We connect the edges of the semi-finished flour product.
Just lift them up and pinch them with your fingers, without leaving any gaps.
Then sprinkle the resulting product with another portion of flour, 2-3 pinch will be enough, and roll out a rolling pin into a circle with a diameter of up 30-40-aand not more than 1st centimeter.
Then we make a small hole in the center of the still raw pie with the back of the fork or a cross-shaped incision with a knife. Very carefully we move it to the prepared baking sheet or mold and also form the other two of the remaining products.
Step 6: bake Ossetian cheese pies.
Now we send the Ossetian miracle to the oven preheated to the desired temperature on 20-25 minutes or until browned.
Pies can be baked in turn or cooked all at once, if the volume of the cabinet allows. As soon as the flour products are ready, with the help of kitchen tacks we put them on cutting boards previously laid on the countertop, and allow to cool slightly.
Then we grease the baking surface with a thin layer of butter, from which it will become even more tender and also tasty. Using a kitchen spatula, we move the pies on a large flat dish, laying them one on top of the other, and we go to taste!
Step 7: serve Ossetian cheese pies.
Ossetian cheese pies are served hot or warm as an addition to breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack or dinner. Before serving, they are cut into 4, 6 or 8 portioned slices and put on the table along with other goodies, for example, sauces based on cream or vegetables, sour cream or homemade mayonnaise. Enjoy a delicious simple meal and be healthy!
Enjoy your meal!
- instead of pizza baking dishes, you can use the more familiar non-stick pan covered with a sheet of baking or parchment paper. Thus, all the pies will be placed in the oven at once and they will be baked at the same time. If the oven is small, then it is better to form and cook the pastries in turn, so that after cooking you can feel the filling rather than the thick layer of risen dough;
- some hostesses grease raw pies with beaten raw chicken eggs before baking. From this, after cooking, its crust turns out to be even more ruddy, but also a little harsh, so if you decide to do so, a little more butter will be needed for impregnation;
- if desired, you can put different types of cheeses in the filling, for example, suluguni, Adyghe, but it is always better to combine them with cottage cheese so that the mixture does not turn out dry. Also, you can add a little chopped basil, wild garlic leaves and beet tops to the greens;
- very often melted butter is poured into the dough instead of vegetable oil, and if the cheeses are fresh, they add a little salt.